Restoration project for the Sant’Agnes in Agone crypt
The crypt is subject to severe deterioration due to rising damp, originating from uncontrollable groundwater. Moisture and humidity continue to damage the remaining wall and ceiling frescos.
Steps in the conservation-restoration plan:
- Documentary research concerning the frescos and their original techniques of execution;
- Diagnostic campaign, including graphic and analytical documentation of the original works and their condition; mapping of deterioration; examination and testing of flooring materials and subfloor structure;
- Chemical-physical analysis of the wall structures, fresco materials and stratigraphy;
- Installation of an air conditioning system to control the temperature and humidity inside the crypt and to sanitize the environment and remove fungus and bacteria harmful to the frescoes. Laying of electronic equipment to contrast with the phenomenon of capillary rising of water.
- Review and adaptation of the electrical and lighting system.
- Pilot shipyard for the conservation and protection of frescoes; studies and proposals for possible reintegration
Donations for restoration of the crypt
For further information or to offer professional or financial contributions for the restoration of Crypt, visit the website:
Activities of EMASST for the restoration of Crypt of Sant’Agnese in Agone in Rome